Tuesday 12 August 2008

The Vampire and Stray Animals

The vampire never sleeps. This vampire, anyway. Yawnnn!! So what shall I do when the rest of my countrymen and womern are all sound asleep in their beds?

Well, talk to all of you, I guess, my visitors who are from the other side of the world. So, on to the real post.

(Hehe, if you're thinking that I'm going to tell you some gory story of how the vampire hunt the strays and suck their blood dry, well, too bad, you're going to be disappointed.)

Yesterday, while having dinner near my home, my hubby and I saw a scrawny, dirty looking kitten. It has some sores on its front left leg, and was stopping to scratch itself every few steps it took. But the saddest bit, which got us glued to it, was that it was so hungry or thirsty that it went into this little make-shift prayer altar that some people had set up under a tree. There, it stuck its head inside a water goblet and drank the oil that was put there to offer to the spirits of the tree.

It was only about four months old, based on its size, and it should not be left alone to fend for itself.

Immediately after dinner, I rushed home, got some food and water and went back to the place, hoping that perhaps I could rescue it. Unfortunately, it was no where to be found. I searched around the area for a while and in the end, had to go home, feeling sad.

For those of you who think that stray animals can survive at eateries or markets, you couldn't be more wrong. There wasn't a scrap of food on the floor on any eateries I've been to, and there certainly wasn't any clean water available for them either. If you look around, you'll notice that almost all the strays are painfully thin and have some skin disease or other.