Sunday 3 May 2009

39.8 - Blackie's Temperature Reading

So sorry for not updating earlier, but I've been busy with Blackie. Lupie dear, thank you very, very much for your concern. Blackie and I really, really appreciate it. {{{hugs}}}

Hubby had to help me extricate Blackie from his hiding at 12 noon today as Blackie is still not his normal self. We took him to Gasing Veterinary Hospital to see a Dr. Prem, who was recommended by Jimmy as the regular vet we go to at Cheras (it's a government vet) is not opened today, and we were not confident to try out new vets after hearing some vet horror stories where they charge you an arm and a leg and killed your pet in the process.

Blackie has a fever at 39.8 degrees Celcius. Dr Prem said that if the fever is above 40 degrees Celcius he would be really concerned and would do some blood tests. But as it's below 40 degrees, and especially since he's an indoor cat, he gave me some antibiotics and asked me to monitor Blackie's temperature. He said Blackie's fever should be down in two days' time, but if it should climb up any further by tomorrow morning, I am to call him and take Blackie back to the hospital where they would have to do some blood tests.

Blackie only started to drink some warm water and ate 3 small cubes of Angel Salmon Sashimi (his favourite treat) a few minutes ago. He wouldn't touch his food, and wouldn't eat more than the 3 cubes, despite my persuading him to.

But, that said, I am happy as he has not eaten or drank since his breakfast at 7am yesterday morning. 

I'll be trying to tempt him to eat and drink more, by continuously changing his water (he likes warm water) and bringing it to him, hopefully he'll eat and drink again.

My current problem is, I have no idea how to take his temperature. I bought a thermometer from Guardian pharmacy this afternoon, but the reading on the thermometer does not change despite my ah.....sticking it up poor Blackie's butt.  

Has anyone taken a temperature reading of their pet before? If so, please advise. From how Dr Prem did it, it looked easy enough, so I don't know why I couldn't get a reading on the thermometer. *puzzled*