Thursday 11 November 2010

Politics, Folitics, Fodlitics, Foodlitics

I'm in a dilemma. What title should I give this post? The subject matter has something to do with food and politics. Wait a minute. What has food and politics in common? Well, nothing really, except perhaps a politician needs to eat?

Or, how about a cafe bearing the logo of a political party?

We've passed by this cafe numerous times but have never actually stepped inside until Deepavali last Friday. I mean, a political party cafe? Are they serious about the food or are they more focused on political propaganda?

And we would still not have stepped inside had we not been searching for Restaurant Ho Fun, a cafe selling Ipoh kuey teow in both soup and dry version. Despite walking up and down the five-foot pavement a couple of times, we could no longer find this cafe. The address is No. 18, Jalan SS2/63, and we knew it is a few doors away from the KTZ Cafe. At last, we decided to check the actual no.18 unit by counting the shoplots. 

In Malaysia, most of the shops don't display their address, not to mention the unit number anywhere on their premises, so you'll have to look for two lots with a number and start counting down, or up, as in our case.

When we finally reached no. 18, we found ourselves at the DAP Rocket cafe. Looks like Restaurant Ho Fun is no longer around. We're stuck, because at 2:45pm, all the other restaurants nearby have closed their kitchen and no longer takes any orders. Our only other option is McDonalds, which we would rather pass. 

The cafe is a no-frills place, and the party's memorabilia are available for sale at the premises. It is not owned by DAP, but its party supporters and members. Check out the news here >>> http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/11/20/nation/5147095&sec=nation

I must say it's somewhat disconcerting to be sitting and eating under the armpit of Lim Guan Eng, the Chief Minister of Penang. Throughout my meal, my imagination ran wild and I kept thinking I could smell his armpit. I could certainly see his armpit hair, that's for sure, and I thanked my lucky stars that there's no ingredient resembling hair in my bowl of laksa. 
Can you see his armpit hair?

I ordered the Penang Assam Laksa and the soup base is just right, not too sour. I did not add the lime that was served with it. Although the price is a little steep for assam laksa in a cafe, at RM7.90 it is still a reasonable price considering the very generous amount of mackerel fish in it.
I only remembered to take a picture after having eaten like, two mouthfuls.  :)

Hubby ordered the Fried Prawn Noodle. It came with a combination of yellow noodles (the ones used in mee goreng) and laksa noodles. The taste was right up hubby's alley, with lots of egg-ish texture, which wasn't particularly my cup of tea.

The cafe is registered under the name of Just Change Sdn Bhd.