Wednesday 29 December 2010

Buried (2010): A Movie Review

A movie aficionado, I thought I've seen it all. Well, not all the movies that were ever made, that would not have been possible, but all the different genres with the various scripts, plots and twists. Nothing really surprises me anymore, but when they do, I felt like I've struck gold.


And, Buried surprised me. I can't say I loved it - neither did I dislike it, I'm just ambivalent - but it was certainly out of the ordinary. There aren't that many movies I can count on one hand that has only one actor from the beginning to the end of the movie. ONE actor in ONE situation. How many film directors are bold enough to film a 1 hour 35 min movie with a single actor stuck inside a box for the whole duration, with no other supporting cast? 


Rodrigo Cortes is one such bold film director. The story is about an American truck driver in Iraq who woke up to find himself buried alive inside a coffin. He knew he had to get out of the coffin before he runs out of oxygen, and with only a lighter and a mobile phone belonging to his Iraqi captor, he raced to get help from the outside world.


For anyone who has not seen it, and has 95 mins to spare, it is worth a view. After all, it is not everyday a film director made a hugely successful movie with very minimal expense. It was in the Top Ten  box-office charts when it opened in September or October this year. Throughout the movie, I kept telling hubby that if he could bring me a big box and put it in our living room, I could lie down in it with a camcorder and make a film, too. Who knows, I might also hit pay-dirt!  :)