Thursday 5 August 2010

Under The Dome by Stephen King



I just finished reading this book last night. It was released in the US in November last year, and I only managed to lay my hands on a copy of the ebook last week. 


Under The Dome is definitely one of the better stories written by Stephen King. Don't get me wrong, he has written quite a few can't-put-it-down books, and I am a die-hard fan of his. But this book is really something else. It's not King's usual scare-you-shitless book, although I love to be scared silly (must be something seriously wrong with me). Rather, it is more like Carrie or Misery, a book on human characters and what they're capable of. If you have read Carrie/Misery or seen the movies, you would know what I mean. 


The story opens on a beautiful fall day in Chester's Mill, a small town in Maine, with a population of 1152 when inexplicably, the town is cut off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crashed into it, animals are cut into half, cars imploded upon impact, people with electronic devices like pacemaker exploded when they got too near it, while families who went on errands in neighbouring towns are unable to return home.


That said, 90% of the story is not about blood and gore. Instead, it focuses on the townfolks, on how they react and change in the face of 'catastrophe'. 


I couldn't stop talking about the book to my hubby. I was sure it would be made into a TV movie, and this morning, the minute I woke up, I troll the net to see if there is any plans to make a movie out of it. And....I wasn't surprised to find that Steven Spielberg has already bought rights to Under The Dome to make it into a mini-series. Below is the trailer. 


P/s: Those who know me personally and would like to 'borrow' this ebook, please let me know. You know how to reach me.  :)