Thursday 11 June 2009

Dewey - The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World



Dewey The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World is a true story about an abandoned, tiny, bedraggled, nearly frozen kitten in the night drop box of the Spencer Public Library which grew up to be an inspiration to the townsfolk.


I just finished reading it yesterday and I must say, I really love this book even though the ending made me cry.

Imagine, me a grown woman, sitting on a bench at a public clinic waiting for my mum's turn to pick up her hypertension prescription, weeping openly as I came to page #258. I just couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks when I read that Dewey was about to die.

A little girl who sat on another bench to my left walked over to me and sat down next to me. She kept looking up into my face as I snivelled away. I couldn't help it. I tried to control myself but the tears refused to stop.

Thoughts of how one day Blackie has to go, too, careened into my mind. Followed by thoughts of losing my loved ones one day as age & death claim them. I cried for Dewey, I cried for Blackie who is stil alive, and I cried for living human beings......extremely silly, isn't it?

Anyway, I am glad Vicki Myron and her friends thought to publish some of Dewey's videos in their website. Check out this handsome, inspiring orange cat here - http://www.deweyreadmorebooks.com/deweyvideos.php


Updates (Aug 11, 2011):
If you had enjoyed Dewey, you might like Homer's Odyssey.