Wednesday 17 December 2008

Cameras, cameras & camears

Time flies when one is busy. It was with a shock that my numbed, sleep-deprived brain registered that the last post was written 8 days ago. Gosh, I'm 8 days older and I have nothing to show for it, other than more wrinkles....is it any wonder that my hubby asked me for a show cause letter???.......LOL!!!

Ok, here's my show cause letter. 

Let me see, what have I achieved in those 8 days.....nothing really, except that I'm slightly more knowledgeable where cameras are concerned. You see, I've been doing nothing but research after research on cameras, online and offline. 

And this is what I learned, from a professional photographer, none the less.  

I was lucky to bump into him at Wide Angle, a camera cum photographic shop in Brem Mall, Kepong, after a very stressful, jammed packed, and people-packed day at the recent PC Fair last weekend. 

But I digress. Back to the topic. Now, what Liong the photographer told me was, the better, more reliable brands for compact cameras are Nikon, Canon and Panasonic. Canon?? Isn't my current camera a Canon?? It wasn't very reliable, was it, if if had a design defect?

According to Liong, Canon is not the only brand affected. Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic had similar design defects, too. But as Canon had captured the biggest market share at that time, the numbers of complaints were more, too. Yeah, it's back to numbers and statistics.

But since then, Nikon, Panasonic and Canon have made technological advances in their designs, and have addressed this problem. And, if it is proven that the lens and shutter in my camera had failed to function due to the sensor defect, Canon will replace those parts free of charge, despite an expired warranty.

He advised me to send it to the Canon service centre in Glenmarie, and if it's not due to the design defect but to wear and tear, then Canon will issue me a quotation for the repairs and I can then decide whether to repair it or purchase a new camera.

He also taught me a host of photographic tricks, like how to overcome the glare of a lamppost that's in the forefront of a night landscape scene using a compact camera that has no lens filter. Just hold a black card and wave it in front of the lens. Yup, it's as simple as that. He demonstrated the effect in his studio, and the black card did not show up in the photo at all. Instead, it cut out the glare.

Thanks, Liong, for the nifty trick.