Wednesday 11 August 2010

A New Home For My Beloved Sayang



As I sit here staring at the screen and photos of Sayang, I do not know whether to smile or cry. The family that wanted to adopt Sayang last month is still very interested in him. Mrs Chong, the mother, even left her house and mobile number with Angela so that I could talk to her. Yes, they are that serious. There are any number of gorgeous and adorable cats, not to mention cute and playful kittens available for adoption and yet, they wanted Sayang and wanted to speak to me about adopting him. They said they would only consider another cat if I turn them down after speaking to them.


I had to make a decision. Should I consider rehoming Sayang? I'd never see him again if I do. 


On the other hand, Sayang is obviously a people-cat. He wants to be around people, and would rather curl up on a person's lap than eat his food if it means being by himself. When I tried to put him back into his 'nest' so that he could eat, he stubbornly clung to my shoulder. And that was almost 4pm and he hadn't had his lunch yet. One could see he was very hungry, standing up on my lap and trying to reach for the human food on the table, and yet, he'd rather stay hungry than be put down in his 'nest' to eat.


After getting some info on the family from Angela, I asked her to call Mrs Chong to come and see me at the shop. Mrs Chong arrived with her daughter shortly after the call.


To cut a long story short, I agreed to give Sayang to Mrs Chong and her family. Sayang will be neutered next week, and then handed over to them. Mrs Chong said I could visit Sayang anytime I like, but I doubt I will impose myself on them.


My only wish is that they will take very good care of Sayang, love him unconditionally, and update me with photos once in a while. My consolation is that Sayang will have a loving home that he can run around happily in instead of being in a confined space. I hope I did the right thing for Sayang.