Saturday 1 May 2010

Who Goes To Genting?



What do you do to amuse yourself in the car on an outstation trip, especially if you're not the driver?  Some women I know are very helpful, volunteering their services as co-drivers, telling their husbands to brake, slow down, or go faster before the light changes to red. Some act as eyes for their blind husband, telling them there's a car on the left, stay on the centre of the lane, and so on.


Me, I'm not so helpful. I prefer to entertain myself by doing what I call a random survey of who the travellers are. Or to be more accurate, where the travellers are from. I take note of the registration plates, and categorise them into their respective states, eg., A is from Perak, J is from Johor, and so on.


My latest 'project' was counting the cars on my way out of the car park at Genting today, from Level B5 at First World Hotel (where we parked our car) to the exit of the car park at Level B9. I started doing that as there was a traffic jam inside the car park and I was bored.


So, who goes to Genting? Where are they from? Most of them are from KL, Selangor, Johor, Singapore, with a handful from Penang, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Pahang, Melaka in that order and two from Kelantan. I was mostly surprised to find that 33% of the cars were from Johor with 8% from Singapore. I would have expected them to go to Resorts World Sentosa or Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, instead of driving 5 hours or so to Genting Highlands. 


Hmmm.....I'd love to find out more about their demographic profile.....yeah, I'm quite nosy.  :)