Tuesday 11 May 2010

The One Eye Cat Named Selayang



Photo taken today (Wed 12 May), after vet has applied treatment which makes the lids kind of stick together, but before surgery and stitching up.


I like to go to Rumpun Selera, at Bandar Baru Selayang, once every few weeks for lunch. I love the Malay food there. It's simply delicious. Sometime in February or March this year, a skinny, cream coloured cat with beautiful, cornflower blue eyes started to make an appearance. It would stand on its hind legs, and touched the arms of the patrons eating there, begging for some scraps. Most of the time, the patrons would brush it away. Feeling sorry for it, I would buy a fried fish, deboned it and feed him.


A couple of weeks ago, I went to Rumpun Selera again. This time, to my horror, I noticed that one of his lovely eyes is missing. The empty eye socket looked red and sore. I couldn't imagine what pain it must have suffered. 


I couldn't stop thinking about the poor cat. What if he looses the other eye? He'd be totally blind then. Then how is he going to look for food? Those thoughts tortured me. I kept wishing that I live in a landed house so that I could bring it home and let it live in my garden.


Last Wednesday I told Angela Mun & EJ about the cat. Angela is the wife of Jimmy. They are the proprietors of Home Pet Food & Care, at Bandar Baru Seri Petaling. 

Then, last Sunday, when hubby and I were there to buy OkoPlus, Angela asked me if I could catch it, take it to a vet for treatment and bring it to her. She said she couldn't stop thinking about the cat after I told her about it, and she'd like to keep it. 


Yesterday, I went to Selayang, but I didn't see the cat. Today, I went again, and the cat was there!!  I managed to catch the cat, and it is now at the vet's. The vet asked for the name of the cat, and the first name that came to my mind was Jack Frost, as it is one-eyed, but then, its coat isn't white, so, for want of a better name, I said "Selayang".


Selayang is a very tame cat. He did not hiss nor growl when the vet opened his mouth to check his teeth & gums, nor when she took a look at his empty eye socket. According to the vet, he is definitely older than 4 years old, and is estimated to be around 6 to 7 years old.


The vet will perform a surgery to clean up the eye and then stitch it close on Thursday. Hopefully, all goes well and I'd be able to collect it on Friday. Please keep Selayang in your thoughts and prayers.


Angela dear, you are truly an angel. You and your husband do all the noble deeds out of your own money and do not seek any limelight. Both of you are truly the unsung heroes. Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart, and on behalf of Selayang. 


P/s: Selayang is NOT for adoption.....sorry.
-------------------------------------------
The One Eye Cat Named Selayang Part 2


Selayang In His New Home