Saturday 20 December 2008

How To Take Better Night Scene Photography

While doing research on digital cameras, I came across several tips on how to maximize those particular cameras. While I would not be buying those cameras, it didn't seem to hurt to pick up a trick or two. Of course, not all the tricks might work, especially if you are like me, and own only a point-and-shoot camera with not much manual control. Still, it doesn't hurt to know, right?

So, as and when I'm in the mood, I shall be posting some of the tips here. These tips are not absolute, so if any of you are good at photography, please give some input, ok? It'll be greatly appreciated. :)

First, the question that I am always asking myself - how to take better night scene photography.

1. Long Exposure Time
One of the tricks to taking a clear, crisp night photo is to increase the exposure time. The longer the exposure, the longer the camera absorbs the low light that is available. Try decreasing the shutter speed to 1/15th of a second or longer.

2. Try Not To Use The Optical Zoom
If possible, avoid using the camera's optical zoom as it increases "camera shake". The higher the camera's optical zoom magnification, the longer the lens has to extend to shoot a photography, thus causing the camera to be especially sensitive to movement.

3. A Tripod Is Essential
Use a tripod when taking long exposures for night photography.

Tip no. 2 makes sense to me as I have noticed that if I use the zoom for night photography, the camera shows a "camera shake" icon on the LCD screen, and most of the time, the picture turned out grainy.

Well, until the next tip, happy shooting.  :)