Monday 3 November 2008

SPCA World Animal Day

SPCA organized an event to celebrate World Animal Day at the KL Tower yesterday (2 Nov '08). It was a day for all animal lovers and their pets to get together. There were lots of dogs mingling around, sniffing one another's butt as they passed each other. 

Only two very brave cat owners brought their cats, clutched tightly and safely high up on their shoulders. No, I was not one of them. And neither was CazzyCazz. Yes, at last, I got to meet her. *happy*

You see, this time, we were smarter. We exchanged phone numbers and I emailed her a photo of me taken at last month's Petfinder Gathering. Otherwise, we would have have missed one another again.

She was the one who identified me and screamed my name out loud....lols...!! The reason I would not have recognized her? She was slimmer, younger and prettier than her photos in her blog! 

Okay, coming back to the World Animal Day event yesterday, there was a large turnout by the time hubby and I got there at two-ish in the afternoon. The car park at KL Tower was full and we had to park elsewhere and walked up the hill. 

Lucky for us, there was a free shuttle service with foreign tourists inside, waiting for two more passengers to fill up the van before they could drive up the hill. The driver saw us and asked us to hop in to make up the numbers. *happy*

SPCA had very kindly given Petfinder.my a booth at the event, and I headed straight for our booth. Hehe...speaking like as if I'm a Petfinder.my administrator. No, I'm just a member of their forum.  ;)

This is Petfinder's booth.


At about three o'clock, the fastest pair of dog and owner eating contest began. It was organized by Andy, the founder of Petfinder.

The plates are ready. I think it's needless for me to say which plate is for who, right?

And so, on the count of three, humans and their four-legged furry companions dug in. The russet-coloured dog opened its big mouth and whalloped the whole chunk of dog food in one bite. It really wants to win. Either that, or it was very hungry.....lols..!!!


Most of the dogs have finished their food while their owners are still chomping down on their buns. Some cheated by getting their dogs to help them finish their buns....hehe. A couple of the dogs believed that sharing is caring, so after they finished their food, they helped the dogs next to them finish theirs, too.  



This dog, however, refused to eat the gruel. It thumped its nose at the food.  The poor owner kept trying to persuade it to eat without success. It reminded me of my Blackie, a picky eater. 



This little dog next to it saw, and having finished its food, came and offered its help. 



And the first prize goes to the fastest eating pair..........



And the second prize-winner.......



After the contest, Groovy, the dancing dog got on the stage for a dance with its owner. It was hilarious, as it could even dance backwards!! *Lol...*


There were a few more interesting sights, but unfortunately, the batteries in my camera ran out.....sob! sob!

Anyway, I got some goodies from the event. While chatting with a chihuahua owner, a Purina staff overheard me saying that a chihuahua is probably the only dog I could keep, living in an apartment, but my cat would eat the chihuahua. When she heard that, she offered me a free can of Fancy Feast for Blackie to try. I think she was trying to save all chihuahua's lives. Thanks, Purina. ;)



It started to rain as we walked down the hill to our car. An SPCA volunteer was selling umbrellas so I got one from him.